Sterling 925 silver has now become the standard for what constitutes acceptable, high quality jewelry. But what is meant by 925 sterling silver?

Sterling 925 silver is considered the standard in silver jewelry. It represents at least 92.5% silver in jewelry. The remaining 7.5% is usually a combination of other metals. Additional metals have a number of purposes, but the central idea is to provide durability. Indeed, silver in itself is a "soft" metal, which means that it is very difficult to make items such as jewelry or cutlery.

The additional metal is usually copper, which allows it to look like silver but have an extra layer of resistance. It is important to note that Switzerland has very strict laws imposing the sale of precious metals. Metals such as cadmium and nickel are prohibited.